Rules of entry into Poland

Border Crossing Procedures

Crossing the state border is permissible only at designated places, i.e. border crossings. Under the local border traffic regime it is also not permitted to cross the border at a location other than a designated border crossing. 

When crossing the border, please keep in mind that when entering Polish territory you are also crossing the border of the European Union (EU) and the Schengen Area. Within the EU, a foreigner may be required to present valid documents allowing him to stay there and to cross state borders.

Documents required when crossing the border:

 - a passport or other valid travel document;

 - a valid visa or another valid document authorizing the foreigner to enter and stay on this territory (for example, a residence card), if required. 

In the case of transit through the Polish territory to another country, the foreigner must have a permit to enter that country or permit of residence for the same country. 

At the border crossing, controls will be carried out by uniformed officers of the Border Guard Service (SG). In the event a control is performed by a person out of uniform, the traveler has the right to ask that person to show their official ID card/badge.

At the border a foreigner may be asked about the purpose and conditions of stay in Poland.

In addition, the foreigner may be asked by the Border Guard Service (SG) to present evidence of health insurance coverage for the period of residence in Poland.



The citizens of many non-EU countries are required to obtain a Polish visa in order to enter and remain in Poland.*

*A visa does not guarantee entry into Poland. Border guards have the right to refuse entry to a foreigner at the border.

Polish consular services abroad are responsible for issuing visas. 

Work visas

An applicant for a work visa must submit: 

 - work permit;

 - entering the declaration on entrusting work to a foreigner into the registry ;

 - a certificate of entry of the application into the registry of seasonal work applications.

In the case of a visa issued for the purpose of working based on a declaration on entrusting work to a foreigner, the time of stay for which the visa is issued cannot exceed 6 months during a 12-month period starting on the day that the foreigner first entered Poland.


Working in Poland

Working while studying

You can help pay for your education by working part-time while you’re studying.

International students have the right to work while studying in Poland as long as they are enrolled in an Institution. Students who are not nationals of EU member countries must also hold a valid residency permit. The right to work applies to all students, including those who are in Poland for the first time, those who are enrolled in the first year of a university program, and those who are enrolled full-time in a language school.

20hrs work permitted during studies as well as 3 months of full time work during holidays.

Full time work is permitted for Residence Card holders.

Work after graduation

Students from member countries of the European Union may work in Poland without restriction after they graduate. It may be really hard to leave such a beautiful country after you complete your education here. Don’t worry if you prefer to stay and work in Poland. As a graduate of a Polish higher education institution full-time program, you don’t need a permit to work here. Just make sure your stay permit is in order. You can stay back for further 2-3 years as long as you can prove that you can financially support yourself without seeking any government benefits. Students who obtain a job or accept employment can obtain a Work Permit.

Blue Card

All kind of professionals can apply for a Blue card once they find an employer. This is valid initially for 2years and than extended for further 3 years and the person can work all over European Union in the Blue card scheme participating countries After 5 years you can apply for Permanent Residence option.

Documents entitling a foreigner to work in Poland

Nationals of non-EU countries staying in Poland on the basis of a permit to settle and a long-term EU resident permit  do not require additional documents granting them the right to take up and perform work.

On principle, nationals of non-EU countries staying in Poland on the basis of a visa or a residence permit for a fixed period may be employed in Poland provided they possess a work permit.

Citizens of Belarus, Moldova, the Russian Federation, Ukraine and the Republic of Armenia may take up employment without  obtaining a work permit for a period not exceeding 6 months within 12 consecutive months on the basis of a declaration on entrusting work to a foreigner.

Work Permit

A work permit is a document that authorizes a foreigner to work legally in Poland.

The permit indicates the company that entrusts the execution of work to the foreigner and the position or the type of work which the foreigner is to perform. The work is therefore regarded as legal only if the foreigner performs the work identified in the permit.

This means that if the foreigner wants to change jobs (i.e. change employer and / or position and / or industry) in which he is employed, he has to obtain a new permit. However, there are some circumstances in which the permit remains valid despite a change in the circumstances for which it has been issued.

The permit is valid for the period for which it was issued. The term of validity of the permit is indicated on the document.

A work permit is required both for taking up employment on the basis of an employment contract as well as civil law contracts.

The entity entrusting the foreigner with the execution of work applies for  a work permit for the foreigner. In the following sections, the entity entrusting the foreigner with the performance of work is referred to as the "employer".

The permit is issued by the Voivode competent for the seat / place of residence of the employer.

Who requires a work permit in Poland?

A foreigner who is not a nation of an EU Member State is entitled to perform work in the Republic of Poland on the basis of a work permit if he legally resides in Poland on the basis of:

- a visa;

- a Schengen visa or another residence document issued by another Schengen Area member state;

- a temporary residence permit;

- on the basis of visa-free travel if the provisions of an agreement concerning visa-free travel foresee the performance of work by foreigners.